Premier Najib Miqati’s cabinet is facing not only the challenge of commitment to the international tribunal but also Lebanon’s implementation of Security Council resolution 1701, Lebanese official sources said.
The sources told pan-Arab daily al-Hayat in remarks published Monday that the government’s challenge is to meet the requirements of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon after the indictment that it issued in ex-Premier Rafik Hariri’s Feb. 2005 assassination.
The other challenge is to commit to 1701 after some countries announced their intention to downgrade their troops participating in UNIFIL following the bomb attack on the Italian patrol near the southern city of Sidon last month.
Ministerial sources said that during talks with diplomats, Miqati stressed that the proof of his intention to cooperate with the STL was the steps taken by the general prosecution to find the four suspects named in the arrest warrants issued by the tribunal.
|Copyright © 2012 Naharnet.com. All Rights Reserved.||http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/10140|