Naharnet

New Festival Chief Wants Mostly New Productions

The new artistic director of the Salzburg Festival has unusual plans — he wants most operas performed there to be new productions.

Alexander Pereira says revivals will be the exception at the famed festival under his leadership.

He also says he plans to stage a Salzburg premiere each year of an opera not previously performed at the festival.

Pereira, cited Thursday on the web page of state broadcaster ORF, also says Nikolaus Harnoncourt will conduct Mozart's "Magic Flute" next summer, while Anna Netrebko will star in Puccini's "La Boheme."

Vienna State Opera musical director Franz Welser-Moest is critical, says ORF, suggesting that — despite such stars — such over-performed operas should not be staged at the festival.

Pereira takes over Saturday.

He remains director of the Zurich Opera House in Switzerland until next summer.

Source: Associated Press


Copyright © 2012 Naharnet.com. All Rights Reserved. http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/16235