Two people were killed on Saturday and six others were wounded in clashes in the northern city of Tripoli after clashes erupted between al-Baqqar neighborhood and Jabal Mohsen.
One person was killed by an explosive device he was handling, a security source told Agence France Presse.
The dead man, Abdullah al-Shmaytiyeh, died when the home-made bomb detonated prematurely, the source said adding that two other people were wounded in the blast in the west Tripoli neighborhood of al-Baqqar.
Following the incident, gun battles broke out between Baqqar, a Sunni Muslim neighborhood, and Jabal Mohsen, an Alawite district, wounding four residents.
Another person was killed, identified as Khaled al-Trabulsi, in the sniper activity that took place between the two neighborhoods.
The state-run National News Agency reporter earlier that the clash initially started as a dispute with the army, but escalated into an armed clash when gunmen intervened to resolve it.
was killed and an unidentified woman wounded in the ensuing shootout in Tripoli's al-Baqqar neighborhood.
Soon after the incident, youths blocked the main road in al-Baqqar.
Violence has regularly broken out in Tripoli, a majority Sunni city, between Sunni residents and the minority Alawites -- an offshoot of Shiite Islam -- of Jabal Mohsen.
The clashes have become more frequent and deadly since the beginning of the Syrian uprising, which pits the Sunni-led opposition against the regime of President Bashar Assad, who is Alawite.
|Copyright © 2012 Naharnet.com. All Rights Reserved.||http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/88731|