Families of Lebanese Hostages Back to the Streetsإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
The relatives of the servicemen taken hostage by jihadists in August last year are planning to hold a protest in downtown Beirut on Wednesday.
Nizam Mughit, one of the family members, said Tuesday: “We will resort to the streets tomorrow, hoisting the pictures of the kidnapped servicemen to tell everyone that this case has not been closed.”
“We won't remain silent … Let the government assume its responsibilities,” he said. “Enough neglect.”
Mughit said the protest will be held at 9:00 am Wednesday near An Nahar newspaper's building as top officials are expected to meet for the second round of all-party talks at the parliament in the nearby Nejmeh Square.
The soldiers and policemen were taken hostage by al-Nusra Front and Islamic State extremist group militants when they overran the northeastern border town of Arsal in August 2014.
Prisoner exchange negotiations with the two groups have reached a standstill.
The families of the captives have on several occasions blocked roads in several areas to express their dismay at the authorities' failure to bring back their loved ones.