Report: Berri Says Israeli Tunnel Tale ‘Questionable’

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية W460

In addition to receiving a telephone call from President Michel Aoun, Speaker Nabih Berri received a similar call from the army leadership, the main objective of which was how to deal with the latest Israeli developments, al-Joumhouria daily reported on Wednesday.

Berri also received a phone call from the U.S. Ambassador Elizabeth Richard. It was clear that the Ambassador adhered to the backing position of the US administration to an Israeli army operation to destroy tunnels allegedly built by Hizbullah under the border with Lebanon, added the daily.

Doubting the Israeli claims, Berri said: “The Israeli tale about the existence of a tunnel in Kfarkla is questionable. Lebanon is asking to be provided with the details that determine the location of this tunnel and the validity of the Israeli claims about its existence.”

He stressed that Lebanon will not stand idle shall Israel expand digging into Lebanese territories. “Israel is free to dig in the territories it occupies, but if it expands the digging towards Lebanese territories then we will have another position,” said the Speaker.

He assured that Lebanon will “express a clear stance during a tripartite meeting expected on Wednesday in al-Naqoura,” and chaired by UNIFIL head with the Lebanese army and Israeli army.

Tripartite meetings have been held regularly under the auspices of UNIFIL since the end of the 2006 war. They have become an essential conflict management and confidence building mechanism between the parties.

The Israeli army said Tuesday it had detected Hizbullah tunnels infiltrating its territory from Lebanon and had launched an operation to cut them off.

"We have launched Operation Northern Shield to expose and thwart cross-border attack tunnels dug by Hizbullah terror organisation from Lebanon into Israel," Israeli army spokesman Jonathan Conricus had said.

Missing phillipo 05 December 2018, 11:16

I'm sure that he can arrange, through UNIFIL, that the Israeli Army will give him a guided tour of the tunnel he claims does not exist.

Thumb s.o.s 05 December 2018, 17:44

Israel doesn’t lie. There may be exaggeratings, but not lies. I’d trust Natanyahu any time over Nasrala for instance though that Israeli is despicable....the Iranian Shia is even worse.

Thumb canadianleb 05 December 2018, 18:00

It is very easy to proof the existence of tunnels. Israel should bring UNIFIL and the Media to the border and show them the tunnels. As everyone knows this would play very well for Israel so by not doing so they have raised doubts among the masses.
Perhaps they are waiting to finish building one from Israel into Lebanon, to bring the media in.

Thumb libanaisresilient 05 December 2018, 19:49

@canadianleb I fully agree with u. As to your biased comment @s.o.s If I was you, I'd not put my hand in the fire for bibi, he is not better than the compulsive liar MBS, you know the american school of Bush? Trump, MBS and Bibi had made their home lesson, don't be surprised if this is another tactics (a la iraq) to invade Lebanon under the excuse of national defense.

Thumb libanaisresilient 05 December 2018, 19:50

Thumb libanaisresilient 05 December 2018, 19:50

Missing bigjohn 05 December 2018, 20:13

Notice how all the FAKE Lebanese names who is a paid Zionist scum ALWAYS defend the Israeli terrorist entity and ALWAYS denounce and degrade the Lebanese. NAHARNET needs to remove this infection.

Missing bigjohn 05 December 2018, 20:15

this shows now how dumb the zionists are. They think that they will able to change a single Native mind. This means the demise of The apartheid state and ALL the puppet despots will come sooner than later.

Thumb s.o.s 05 December 2018, 21:02

You can’t tolerate criticism, you must be a houthian. That’s exactly what your beloved terrorist organization did since late 2004, they silenced our elected politicians and our intellectuals like Gibran and Kassir not to forget our police investigators.

Not that it’s any of your business, I was told all men in my family were arrested when Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982, yet today I consider hizbalewat far worse than Israel. Hassan Nasrala is Lebanon’s #1 enemy , as I wrote above I said Natanyahu is a band person but the hizbala terrorist leader is worse. He tops the podium.