Mladic Trial Opening Postponed until May 16إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
The trial of Bosnian Serb ex-army chief Ratko Mladic, who faces charges for his part in some of the worst atrocities in Europe since World War II, has been put back to May 16, a U.N. court said Tuesday.
"The prosecutor's opening statement will start on May 16," an International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) official told Agence France Presse, adding "his statement will continue until May 17."
The trial had originally been due to start on May 14, but judges on Tuesday postponed the opening "for various reasons," but gave no details.
Mladic, 70, faces war crimes court judges on 11 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes stemming from the 1990s Balkans conflict which claimed the lives of some 100,000 people.
He was arrested in May last year in northeastern Serbia and brought to The Hague, where he has since been behind bars at a U.N. detention unit.
The man referred to as "The Butcher of Bosnia" faces counts which include the massacre at Srebrenica in July 1995 in which more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys were murdered.