China Calls for Investigation into Syria Massacreإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
China on Monday condemned a massacre of more than 100 people in the central Syrian town of Houla and called for an immediate investigation to identify those responsible.
Beijing's comments came as U.N.-Arab envoy Kofi Annan headed to Damascus in a bid to salvage his battered peace plan a day after the United Nations condemned the Syrian regime's use of artillery in Houla.
"China is deeply shocked and strongly condemns the incident," said foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin, after Russia questioned whether Damascus was behind the violence.
"China... calls for an immediate investigation into this issue and to find the perpetrators. This incident again shows that Syria should waste no time to implement the ceasefire and end the violence," he added.
Beijing and Moscow -- both long-standing allies of Damascus -- drew international criticism earlier this year for vetoing two U.N. Security Council resolutions against President Bashar Assad's regime.
They have since backed Annan's efforts to bring peace to Syria. But the peace envoy's six-point blueprint, which was supposed to begin with a ceasefire from April 12, has been broken daily.
"We urge relevant parties in Syria to immediately and comprehensively uphold relevant Security Council resolutions and Annan's six-point proposal, stop all violence, properly protect innocent civilians, ease tensions there and push forward the political resolution of the Syrian issue," said Liu.