Army Restores Calm after 1 Dead, 2 Hurt in Tripoli Violenceإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
One person was killed and two others were wounded on Friday as exchange of gunfire renewed between the rival Tripoli neighborhoods of Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh, in the latest such violation of a fragile ceasefire.
“Cautious calm engulfed the area after army units fired heavily for around 10 minutes at the sources of gunfire, silencing the sniper fire,” state-run National News Agency reported later on Friday.
A man was killed while his wife was critically wounded as sniper fire targeted Jabal Mohsen, Radio Voice of Lebanon (93.3) reported. It identified the man as Abu Ahmed Eid and the wife as Hoson Mohammed Dirgham.
NNA said a hand grenade was hurled at the Baal al-Darawish area which is located between the two rival neighborhoods as an Energa-type rocket hit the al-Mallouleh area in Bab al-Tabbaneh.
It also said sniper fire targeted several spots on Syria Street which separates Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh, before army troops managed to silence the sources of gunfire.
Radio Voice of Lebanon (93.3) said residents in Jabal Mohsen blocked a road to protest the death of the man. It also said two cars were torched as the identity and fate of their drivers remained unknown.
Clashes between the pro- and anti-Syrian regime neighborhoods last week left 14 people dead and 48 wounded, sparking fears of a spillover of the conflict in neighboring Syria.
Sectarian violence has flared several times in Tripoli since the revolt broke out in Syria in March of last year, including street battles in May that left 10 dead.