Miqati Rejects Becoming Stumbling Block to ‘Exceptional’ Governmentإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Prime Minister Najib Miqati vowed on Saturday not to become a stumbling block to the formation of an “exceptional” government that requires foremost consensus among the Lebanese.
In an interview with pan-Arab daily al-Hayat in London, Miqati said: “I hold onto the success of the government at all levels despite all the hurdles and obstacles facing us … At the same time everyone knows that I don’t hold onto power but work to preserve the safety of Lebanon and the Lebanese.”
The premier added however that Lebanon is in need for an “exceptional government” on condition that it becomes consensual.
“I won’t be a stumbling block to the formation of such a cabinet but before the rise of this government we as Lebanese should agree with each other and express our keenness to Lebanon and Lebanese unity.”
“A unifying government will be the last chance in confronting the challenges we are facing,” he added.
Miqati was in London to participate in the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games. He held talks with British Foreign Minister William Hague and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on the sidelines of the event on Friday.
On Saturday, Miqati held talks with Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Lord David Howell.
He also held a series of meetings with different heads of delegations attending Friday’s ceremony. Among them are British PM David Cameron, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Hague announced support for a “stable, peaceful and prosperous future for Lebanon” and “welcomed the efforts of the Lebanese authorities to work with the international community to address the threat of regional instability, including steps to strengthen Lebanon’s control of its border with Syria.”
Asked about the Syrian violations of Lebanese sovereignty, Miqati told his interviewer that it was natural for President Michel Suleiman to request the Lebanese foreign ministry to send a letter of protest to Syria.
“Had it not been Syria, with which we have historic ties and agreements, we would have sent the complaint to the U.N. but we preferred to resolve the issue through the proper diplomatic means,” he said.
Miqati was referring to Suleiman’s request to hand over a letter of protest to Syrian Ambassador Ali Abdul Karim Ali over the repeated violations of the Lebanese border.
However, Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour delivered a memo to Ali demanding his country to avoid the recurrence of any border incidents.
Earlier in the month, the Lebanese army deployed troops along the northern and northeastern border with Syria following a spate of deadly incidents.
Several Lebanese have been killed and wounded by cross-border gunfire as Syrian government forces fought armed rebels.
Miqati revealed to al-Hayat that the government will seek to implement a 1.6-billion-dollar plan proposed by the army leadership to improve its capabilities on a four-year stage.