6 Hurt as Clashes Erupt between Jabal Mohsen, Bab al-Tabbaneh over 'Fireworks'إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Armed clashes erupted on Monday between the rival Tripoli districts of Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh “over the launching of fireworks,” LBCI television reported.
Half an hour later, LBCI said the army managed to contain the situation.
State-run National News Agency said the situation had been tense in the area over the past two days over the launching of fireworks by the two sides.
Radio Voice of Lebanon (93.3) had reported that “all the frontiers of Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh are witnessing a heavy exchange of gunfire and a man has been wounded.”
A security official told Agence France Presse that six people were wounded in the shootout -- three from Jabal Mohsen and three from Bab al-Tabbaneh.
Later on Monday, the Army Command issued a statement saying its units "staged pedestrian and motorized patrols in the area's neighborhoods in order to arrest the gunmen and restore total normalcy."
LBCI said the army fired heavily at the sources of gunfire in a bid to contain the situation.
The rival districts have been gripped by frequent fighting, reflecting a split between Lebanon's parties where the March 14-led opposition backs the revolt in Syria while a ruling coalition led by Hizbullah supports the Damascus regime.
More than 12 people were killed and some 100 others were wounded two months ago in clashes sparked by the arrest of Salafist activist Shadi al-Mawlawi at the hands of General Security agents on charges of trafficking arms to Syria.