Miqati Says Case of Kidnapped Lebanese 'Priority'إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Prime Minister Najib Miqati denied on Tuesday that the government didn’t fail in following up the case of the Lebanese kidnapped in Syria, stressing that resolving it is a priority.
“We are following up the issue with regional and foreign countries, in particular, with the Turkish officials to ensure the safe return of the abductees,” Miqati told As Safir newspaper.
He pointed out that the political fuss caused by some local political powers shouldn’t hide the fact that the situation across the region is very difficult.
“The situation has a very critical impact on Lebanon, which requires the halt of the strong rhetoric and safeguard the country’s interests,” Miqati stated.
11 Lebanese pilgrims were kidnapped in the northern Syrian province of Aleppo on their way home from a pilgrimage to Iran on May 22. Conflicting reports have emerged on their fate after Syrian government forces shelled the area of Aazaz where they were being held.
Lebanese Hassan Salim al-Meqdad was allegedly kidnapped by the Free Syrian Army last week in Damascus which prompted his family’s previously unknown military wing to abduct several Syrians and a Turkish citizen to press the release of Hassan.
Another Turkish national has also been kidnapped but it was not clear who was behind his abduction.
Interior Minister Marwan Charbel said that his meetings with Turkish officials regarding the issue were “fruitful.”