Cabinet Approves Plan Worth $1.6 Billion to Properly Equip Armyإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
The Cabinet approved on Wednesday a 1.6-billion-dollar plan to properly equip the Lebanese army, Information Minister Walid al-Daouq said.
The payments will be made over a five-year period and the plan calls for providing the military institution with proper arms and equipment.
Defense Minister Fayez Ghosn stated: “All sides were in agreement over the army plan.”
A defense agreement between Lebanon and France was approved by the cabinet amid objections by some ministers, al-Daouq said in his briefing.
Media reports said that the ministers of Amal and Hizbullah had criticized it.
The cabinet session, headed by President Michel Suleiman, was held at the Baabda Palace.
The recent kidnappings in Lebanon were also the focus of discussions among the ministers, with the heads of security agencies being summoned to the session.
The session was preceded by a closed-door meeting between Suleiman and Prime Minister Najib Miqati.
Lebanon has been lately witnessing a spree of abductions of wealthy businessmen.
The kidnappers are either setting the men free after the payment of ransom or releasing their captives after the mediation of some officials.
The army set free on Wednesday Fouad Daoud in Baalbek, less than a week after his abduction.
One of the latest abductions and releases also took place earlier this week when the brother of the head of the Bakeries Association Youssef Beshara was kidnapped on Monday.
He was held for ransom and released on Tuesday in exchange for $400,000.