Suleiman, Army Say Will Take Measures against Syrian Attacks after One Person Injured in Arsalإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
The army announced that it will immediately respond to any further cross-border attacks by the Syrian military after a helicopter gunship attacked on Wednesday.
"Army units deployed in the (Arsal) area took the necessary defensive measures to respond immediately to any similar violations," an army statement said, in a rare warning against the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
President Michel Suleiman stated that Lebanon "has the right to take the necessary measures to defend its sovereignty," urging an end to the "Syrian violations" against Arsal.
"These raids put the security and safety of Lebanese people in danger and it contradicts with revolutions regulating the relations between both countries," he expressed in phone calls with caretaker Prime Minister Najib Miqati, caretaker Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour, Army chief Gen. Jean Qahwaji and Head of the Lebanese-Syrian Higher Council Nasri Khoury.
The Army Command's communique came hours after a Syrian airstrike targeting Arsal injured at least one person earlier on Wednesday.
Several media outlets reported that the Syrian raids targeted the center of the town, whose residents back the rebellion against Assad, injuring Mohammed Ahmed al-Braidi.
LBCI said that the helicopter fired three rockets near Arsal municipality building.
The raid comes four days after such Syrian strike targeted Lebanon's border areas.
The latest raid comes soon after the Syrian town of Qusayr was captured by the regime army and Hizbullah fighters from the rebels after nearly three-weeks of fierce fighting.
Ever since the Syrian revolt erupted in March 2011, Arsal has become a key conduit for refugees and wounded people fleeing strife-torn Syria.
Security officials say the town has also served as a passageway for fighters and arms flowing into Syria.