Tunisia's premier said he would telephone British counterpart David Cameron Friday to discuss his government's advice that the North African nation, heavily dependent on tourism, was unsafe for holidays.
Guidance issued Thursday by the Foreign Office forced British tour operators to halt all holidays to Tunisia in a massive blow to a key sector of its economy.Full Story
Britain on Thursday advised its nationals in Tunisia to leave, warning that local authorities could not provide "adequate protection" after last month's beach massacre that left 30 Britons dead.
"While we do not have any information suggesting a specific or imminent threat, since the attack in Sousse the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, leading us to the view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely," Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said.Full Story
The Tunisian state of emergency imposed after the jihadist attack that killed 38 tourists last month must not suppress freedoms gained since the 2011 revolution, Human Rights Watch said Tuesday.
"Imposing a state of emergency does not give the Tunisian government the right to gut basic rights and freedoms," the New York-based HRW said in a statement.Full Story
Britons laid flowers at the sites of the 2005 London suicide bombings and held a nationwide minute of silence for the 52 victims on Tuesday on the tenth anniversary of the attacks.
Prime Minister David Cameron led the tributes by placing a wreath at a memorial in Hyde Park, less than a fortnight after an attack in Tunisia in which 30 Britons were killed.Full Story
Tunisian coast guards recovered the decomposed bodies of five migrants who apparently drowned at sea as they sought to reach Italy from conflict-hit Libya, an official said Monday.
The bodies of the African migrants were spotted Saturday afternoon off the coast of Ben Guerdane in southern Tunisia, said the civil defense official.Full Story
The Tunisian jihadist behind last month's massacre of foreigners at a seaside resort had previously worked in tourism, officials said Sunday, as his mother insisted the young man was "brainwashed."
In an interview on Sunday, Prime Minister Habib Essid revealed more details about 23-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui, who gunned down 38 foreign tourists in the June 26 attack.Full Story
Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi on Saturday declared a state of emergency following last week's beach massacre claimed by the Islamic State group in which 38 foreign tourists were killed.
In another firm response to the June 26 attack, several officials were sacked including the governor of the Sousse region where it took place.Full Story
Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid told the BBC on Friday that police took too long to react to last week's jihadist attack that killed 38 people, mostly Britons.
"The time of the reaction -- this is the problem," Essid told the British broadcaster. Police had been "blocked everywhere," he added.Full Story
A top Tunisian jihadist and associate of late al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden was killed by a U.S. airstrike in Libya last month, The New York Times reported Friday.
Seifallah Ben Hassine, listed as a "global terrorist" by the US, was killed in mid-June in an airstrike that targeted a top al-Qaida-linked Islamist, the paper said.Full Story
Tunisia started deploying armed police around tourist sites on Wednesday after last week's massacre at a beach resort, as authorities finished identifying all 38 people killed in the jihadist attack.
A British military plane carried home eight bodies of its nationals killed in the assault, with Tunisia's health ministry confirming that 30 Britons were among the dead.Full Story