The Consultative Gathering welcomed on Friday the government’s decision on the northeastern town of Arsal, and the need to hold responsible all those obstructing the constitution.
In a statement read by Telecommunications Minister Butros Harb, the gathering, which is led by former President Michel Suleiman said: “We denounce how some politicians continue to ignore the danger that Lebanon is facing and continue to obstruct the parliamentary sessions to elect a president.”
“We call on all those obstructing the election of a president not to obstruct the constitution too, and head to the parliament at once,” said Harb from his residence where the meeting took place.
It was attended by Suleiman, Kataeb leader Amin Gemayel and eight cabinet ministers loyal to them.
“All those boycotting the electoral sessions are to be blamed” for the failure to elect a new head of state he added.
The rival camps have failed to elect a successor to Suleiman despite around 24 parliamentary sessions. The MPs have not met the two-thirds quorum required to hold an electoral session.
Suleiman's six-year term at Baabda Palace ended on May 25 last year, the longest time the post has been vacant since the devastating civil war ended in 1990.
On the cabinet's session on Arsal, the Gathering said: “We welcome the cabinet's decision and its reassurance that it will continue to back the army and hold responsible all those obstructing the constitution.”
The cabinet decided to take all necessary measures to deploy inside Arsal to fend off any assault by militants who are entrenched on the mountainous area along the Lebanese-Syrian border.
|Copyright © 2012 Naharnet.com. All Rights Reserved.||https://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/181198|