Spotlight
-
Middle East
Rubio says announcement possible later Sunday on Iran war
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said an announcement was possible later Sunday on a deal with Iran that could formally end the Mi...
-
Middle East
Trump says agreement with Iran 'largely negotiated,' includes opening strait
U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday a deal with Iran had been "largely negotiated," with the proposal including opening the crucial Strai...
The public broadcasters for Spain, Ireland and Slovenia said Monday that they will not show the Eurovision Song Contest this week as they boycott the event over Israel's participation.
"For the next 10 days, instead of the Eurovision circus, the national television program will be colored by the thematic program series 'Voices of Palestine'," Slovenian broadcaster RTV said. Ireland's RTE will show a comedy and Spain will run its own musical special instead of this year's Eurovision from Vienna, which kicks off on Tuesday. Five countries are boycotting the contest.
Full Story
The Lebanese army said that it has arrested an Iraqi national for impersonating an Iraqi security official in Lebanon, the second alleged high-level imposter caught in recent months.
A military source told AFP that the man had managed to network with Lebanese security and intelligence officials, telling them he worked at Iraq's Beirut embassy.
Full Story
Israel's military said Monday that one of its soldiers had died in fighting near the border with Lebanon and three were wounded in a drone attack in the south, bringing its losses to 18 personnel since the war with Hezbollah began in early March.
Sergeant Major Alexander Glovanyov, 47, "fell during combat near the Israel-Lebanon border", the military said.
Full Story
China said Monday it was ready to work with the United States in the pursuit of "more stability" globally, ahead of this week's meeting between leaders Xi Jinping and Donald Trump.
"Top-level diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China-U.S. relations," foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun told a regular news briefing.
Full Story
Iran's foreign ministry said Monday it had called for an end to the war across the region and the release of frozen assets abroad in its response to the latest U.S. proposal.
"We did not demand any concessions. The only thing we demanded was Iran's legitimate rights," said ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei in a weekly press briefing.
Full Story
Israel kept up strikes on south and east Lebanon on Monday despite a ceasefire, targeting Jmayjmeh, al-Qlayleh, Harees, Arnoun, Jarjou', Sojod, Toul, Yohmor Shqif, Kfartebnit, Kfardounine, Shoukine, Ebba, Kfarjoz, Zebdine, Zebqine, Yater, Nabatieh, Safad al-Battikh and Kfar Remman.
Israeli artillery meanwhile shelled the southern towns of Yohmor, Arnoun, Kfartebnit, Nabatieh, Mayfadoun, Majdalzoun, Jebshit, Ali Taher and Qalaway.
Full Story
U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday he has rejected Iran's response to a U.S. proposal for ending the Iran war, deeming it "totally unacceptable."
"I have just read the response from Iran's so-called 'Representatives.' I don't like it -- TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!" Trump posted on his Truth Social platform, without describing elements of Tehran's response.
Full Story
U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday accused Iran of "playing games" and laughing at America for decades, but said it soon would be made to stop -- without commenting directly on reports of Tehran's response to Washington's latest peace proposal.
Full Story
European Union crisis management chief Hadja Lahbib on Saturday urged increased humanitarian access in south Lebanon, where Israel has kept up strikes and Hezbollah has been launching attacks despite a ceasefire.
Full Story
Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa met Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam in Damascus on Saturday on a visit tackling issues including security, transport and energy.
Full Story


