Middle East
Latest stories
Israel army launches criminal probe into killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab

Israel's military said Wednesday it would launch criminal investigations into two high-profile attacks on Palestinians during the war in Gaza, including the killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and her family and of 15 Palestinian paramedics.

The military said it would not launch criminal investigations into three other attacks that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

W140 Full Story
France FM condemns far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks

France's foreign minister on Wednesday condemned "inhumane" remarks by Israel's far-right national security minister that Israel should kill 30 to 40 people every night in Gaza.

The remarks on a podcast by Itamar Ben Gvir "are intolerable and inhumane," said Jean-Noel Barrot.

W140 Full Story
Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he's 'unhappy' with country's deal with Iran

U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, two regional officials said on Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat.

The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it is opposed to parts of the yet-to-be-announced deal, including the joint Iranian and Omani management of the exit route out of the passage that's critical to global supplies of oil and natural gas. The officials were briefed on the U.S. position and how the administration views Oman's position.

W140 Full Story
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base

Israel struck an air base in northwest Syria early Tuesday, saying it aimed to prevent Turkish troops from deploying there.

Turkey, which has close ties with the Syrian government and has been providing assistance to Syria's military, has tense relations with Israel. The rival countries have sought to curb each other's influence in neighboring Syria.

W140 Full Story
IAEA chief says found 'tons of nuclear materials' in Syria

U.N. nuclear watchdog head Rafael Grossi said Tuesday that his agency had found several tons of nuclear materials at a previously undeclared site dating from the rule of Syria's previous authorities.

W140 Full Story
Trump says no talks taking place or planned with Iran

U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that no talks with Tehran are under way or planned and insisted the blockade of Iran’s ports remains in force.

W140 Full Story
Palestinian American returns to besieged West Bank home but Israeli settlers remain

The Palestinian American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged for more than a week confronted Israeli settlers on his property Tuesday and demanded Israeli forces remove them from the area.

But on his first day back at his home in the village of Qusra, Loui Ridi was ultimately told to go inside because the area was a closed military zone.

W140 Full Story
Lebanon to extradite Syrian Assad-era general

Lebanon's judiciary decided on Tuesday to extradite a former Syrian general it detained this month following a warrant from Damascus accusing him of "killing and crimes against humanity", a judicial official said.

The official, requesting anonymity, told AFP that Lebanon's public prosecutor "decided to extradite former Syrian General Adel Issa, currently detained in Lebanon, to Syrian authorities to stand trial for crimes he is accused of committing on Syrian soil" during the rule of former president Bashar al-Assad, ousted in late 2024.

W140 Full Story
Iran negotiator Ghalibaf says Hormuz will not open until US meets demands

Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television. He listed the removal of the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among the demands.

W140 Full Story
Syria state media says 3 dead in blast at coastal power plant

Syrian state media said three people were killed on Tuesday in an explosion of unknown origin at a power plant on the country's Mediterranean coast.

News agency SANA reported "an explosion in the thermal power plant in Banias", with the cause under investigation. It cited a regional health official as saying the blast resulted in three deaths.

W140 Full Story