- Lebanon Fattoush Proposes Parliament Mandate Extension as Berri Awaits Final Decision of Rival MPs Monday MP Nicolas Fattoush has submitted a proposal on a two-year extension of parliament's mandate without coordinating with any side, the caretaker mini... 19 May 2013, 05:59
- Lebanon Electoral Subcommittee to Meet again on Monday after 48-Hour Consultations The electoral subcommittee adjourned on Saturday its meeting for further consultations over a new electoral law as the rival parties failed once ag... 18 May 2013, 13:17
Al-Jamaa al-Islamiya has denied allegations that the al-Qaida terrorist network was operating in Lebanon, but stressed that some extremists believe in Osama bin Laden’s thoughts.
The party’s politburo chief Omar al-Masri told An Nahar daily published Thursday that the reports about al-Qaida’s presence in Lebanon “are an old story.”Full Story
The ministerial committee tasked with following up the issue of oil and gas exploration on Wednesday referred the executive decrees prepared by the energy and water ministry to the government, which will discuss them in its January 4 session.
Briefing reporters after the committee’s meeting at the Grand Serail, Energy and Water Minister Jebran Bassil said: “I want to announce the good news to the Lebanese: the ministerial committees tasked with studying the oil decrees has reached an agreement and referred the decrees prepared by the energy ministry to the upcoming Jan. 4 cabinet session.”Full Story
A family dispute has erupted into heavy gunfire in the northern city of Tripoli, forcing the army to intervene to contain the situation.
OTV reported that the dispute broke out in the city’s fish market.Full Story
Information Minister Walid al-Daouq stated on Wednesday that Defense Minister Fayez Ghosn has received information from security authorities on the infiltration of al-Qaida members of the Bekaa town of Arsal and their entry into Syria, adding that the government urged the security forces and Lebanese army to properly monitor the border with Syria.
He said after a cabinet session: “The government called on the Higher Defense Council to convene in order to address the minister’s allegations.”Full Story
Prime Minister Najib Miqati wondered on Wednesday whether some Lebanese have connections with the actual al-Qaida terrorist group, saying that the organization’s name is being used in general terms and not in order to describe specific incidents.
He said before reporters: “We don’t have solid evidence that al-Qaida is present in Arsal.”Full Story
Former premier Saad Hariri condemned Wednesday what he called the “assassination” of three Lebanese young men at the hands of Syrian security forces in the northern Lebanese border area of Wadi Khaled.
In a statement issued by his press office, Hariri held Prime Minister Najib Miqati’s government responsible for “the frequent Syrian violations against Lebanese citizens and Lebanese sovereignty.”Full Story
A cautious calm prevailed in the Wadi Khaled area of the northern district of Akkar on Wednesday, a day after Syrian troops entered Lebanese territories and killed three men.
Kasser Hussein al-Zeit and his brother Ahmed, who hail from the Syrian town of Heit, and their cousin Maher Ali al-Zeit, who resides in Majdal in Wadi Khaled, were killed on Tuesday when the Syrian army intelligence members reached the outskirts of al-Mqaibleh and opened fire on their vehicle, An Nahar daily said.Full Story
A wage hike made by the cabinet last week will most likely not be published in the official gazette this year as the Shura Council failed to issue its stance on the decision ahead of the last government session for 2011.
The cabinet convened at Baabda palace at noon Wednesday to discuss 37 items placed on its agenda. President Michel Suleiman and Premier Najib Miqati held closed-door talks ahead of the session.Full Story
Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour said on Wednesday that Lebanon decided not to participate in the Arab League observer mission in Syria in order to “dissociate” itself from the crisis.
“Prime Minister Najib Miqati decided after discussing the issue with President Michel Suleiman not to participate in the mission,” Mansour told As Safir newspaper.Full Story
An explosion tore through a restaurant in the southern city of Tyre at dawn Wednesday in an alleged attempt to thwart its owner from holding New Year’s Eve celebrations and serving alcohol.
The explosion, which happened at around 5:00 am local time, was caused by a two kilogram bomb made of TNT that was left on the staircase of the seaside Tyros restaurant. There were no injuries.Full Story