40 Suspects Charged over Tripoli Clashesإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
The military prosecutor charged on Monday 40 suspects for their involvement in the fighting in the northern city of Tripoli, the state-run National News Agency reported.
NNA said the charges were issued against them by State Commissioner to the Military Court Judge Saqr Saqr.
The 40 suspects include 18 Jabal Mohsen residents, only one of whom is in custody, Bilal al-Baqar and Raef Dandashi, Wael Ibrahim and 19 of his co-conspirators from Bab al-Tabbaneh whose identities are not fully known, NNA said.
The charges include the formation of an armed group aimed at carrying out crimes, the attack on civilian and military institutions, participation in the fighting in Tripoli and the exchange of fire, the agency stated.
The other charges are killing, attempted murder and damage to properties and buildings, NNA said.
The suspects were referred to first Military Examining Magistrate Riyad Abu Ghida.
Several people have been detained since armed forces began implementing a security plan earlier this month to restore law and order to the city.
The army said in a communique on Monday that it has arrested Suleiman Mahmoud al-Ali in Jabal Mohsen as part of the security plan.
Tripoli has witnessed several rounds of fighting linked to the war in neighboring Syria.
Bab al-Tabbaneh is mostly Sunni, whose residents support Syrian rebels in their war to overthrow President Bashar Assad. Jabal Mohsen residents are mostly Alawite, and loyal to Assad, who shares their faith, an offshoot of Shiite Islam.