Hariri Says Not behind Govt. Delay, Rejects 32-Minister Govt. Proposal
Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri stressed Friday that he is not to blame for the continued delay in the cabinet formation process but rather the Hizbullah-led camp.
“The government formation mechanism is clear according to the constitution and it stipulates that the PM-designate forms the government in agreement with the President. Period. This is the constitution that was devised by those who participated in the Taef conference after the bloody civil war that the Lebanese lived,” Hariri said.
“There’s no doubt that a lot of parties do not prefer that implementation of the Taef Accord, the constitution and the laws. What these people want and what their project is have become clear and what happened last week does not harm Saad Hariri but rather Lebanon,” the PM-designate added, referring to verbal attacks against him by pro-Hizbullah parties and a botched Internal Security Forces operation in ex-minister Wiam Wahhab’s hometown Jahliyeh.
“Everything that is happening is aimed at obstructing the formation of the government. The problem has become clear and no one can hide behind any issue to justify what they are doing. My political beliefs are well-known and the subservience of the others is blatant,” Hariri went on to say.
Referring to the verbal attacks against him and against slain ex-PM Rafik Hariri, the PM-designate said: “What happened insults Lebanon and my family and this is something I won’t allow or tolerate no matter what they do. In the end, every person must bear the responsibility for his actions.”
A statement distributed by the premier’s office had earlier said that “reviving the 32-minister proposal to justify naming a minister from the group of six MPs is unacceptable.”
“Creating a new norm in the formation of governments is rejected and the PM-designate categorically rejects to endorse it,” the statement added.