Charbel Reassures Lebanese over Bulgaria's Hizbullah Allegationsإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Interior Minister Marwan Charbel reassured the Lebanese on Thursday that accusations by Bulgaria of Hizbullah's involvement in a deadly attack on Israeli tourists last year will not have repercussions on the country.
In remarks to the Kuwaiti al-Seyassah daily, Charbel said the claim that Hizbullah was involved in the bomb attack on a bus in Burgas airport in July 2012 “will not have repercussions on the government and the local scene.”
In other remarks to al-Joumhouria newspaper, Charbel denied that his ministry had received any document from the Bulgarian government concerning its investigation into the bombing that left 5 Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver dead.
Three men are suspected in the attack, including the dead bomber.
On Tuesday, an official Bulgarian report said investigators had "well-grounded reasons to suggest" that two of the suspects belonged to Hizbullah.
The report said they had been living in Lebanon for years, one with a Canadian passport and the other with an Australian one.
But Charbel stressed that the international community holds onto stability in Lebanon.
His comment came against the backdrop of increased pressure on the European Union to designate Hizbullah a terrorist organization.
The EU is split on the issue. Adding Hizbullah to the list of terrorist organizations would require a unanimous decision by the foreign ministers of all 27 EU countries.