Hariri Says Has 'Conditions' to Return as Premier

W460

Al-Mustaqbal Movement leader ex-PM Saad Hariri on Thursday announced that he has his conditions to return as premier, while noting that he is “not negotiating with anyone” over such a move.

“I’m not pushing to become premier, I’m not thinking of becoming premier, I have not talked to anyone and no one is negotiating with me,” Hariri said in a chat with reporters, pointing out that he did not discuss such a possibility with Deputy Speaker Elie Ferzli who visited him earlier in the day.

“I don’t consider myself a savior of Lebanon, seeing as you cannot clap with one hand, and I had offered concessions for three years at the expense of my popular base in order to rescue the country,” Hariri added.

“I did not do that for the premiership post, and the proof is that I responded to people’s demand and resigned, unlike others who are clinging to their posts,” the ex-PM went on to say.

Hariri explained that his conditions to return to the post are related to the country’s situation and what is needed in order to “rescue” it from its economic and financial crises.

“There needs to be a totally different way of action,” he said.

Asked about the possibility of naming Mohammed Baasiri to the post, Hariri said: “My conditions are clear and I will not offer a cover to someone close to me if they act on their own.”

“A political camp is in charge of this government and if they decide to leave it they are free. The issue of who the next PM will be is not related to the current government,” Hariri said.

The former premier also noted that the International Monetary Fund is ready to offer assistance to Lebanon “but it requires reforms that have not been implemented until the moment.”

“We have an economic crisis and reform is needed, while PM (Hassan) Diab did not talk today about electricity or reforms but rather attacked the diplomatic corps of whom we are seeking to borrow funds,” Hariri lamented.

SourceNaharnet
Thumb Candice 02 July 2020, 20:26

I also have my conditions to return our relationship back to the way we were...

Thumb lebanonforever 03 July 2020, 00:05

Gold

Thumb chrisrushlau 03 July 2020, 20:11

Move Beirut to Riyadh.

Thumb natour 02 July 2020, 21:09

What's odd is that the twosome pushing Diab out and calling for Hariri's return are from withing the M8 ruling coalition, Wiam Wahhab's a mouthpiece of the Hezb and the Syrian regime and Elie Ferzli's a member of Gebran Bassil's parliamentary block and a close ally of Nabih Berri.

Thumb natour 02 July 2020, 21:32

I suppose this could be a ploy from the Hezb and Bassil to put pressure on Diab to make even more concessions.

Thumb tric.portugal 02 July 2020, 22:03

Hariri can not be prime Minister of Lebanon!! Hariri defend the integration of the refugies of Meca in Lebanon!!

Thumb tric.portugal 02 July 2020, 22:03

Is terrorist

Thumb lebanonforever 03 July 2020, 00:06

Hariri is a big part of the problems Lebanon is in..
Absolutely not a fan of his return.

The bloke is living in fantasy land

Thumb zahle_nights007 03 July 2020, 00:53

So... What happened to "Kellon yaani Kellon"? What a bunch of losers we are , the Lebanese people. Civil war and nothing else. It is either we live right or we die. It is either them or us.

Thumb whyaskwhy 03 July 2020, 17:35

Zahle the Lebanese never learn anything from their past but pray for a brighter future thats our only method for improvment. What we will see is another game of musical chairs here with the same old faces comming back. I have never heard of Kizb giving up one inch of their power in the past and when it appeared as if they did look carefuly and you will see that they retain the same power but with different strings. You can bring back all the Hariri family Kizb will still want to rule through its terror in the region.