U.N. Rights Chief Condemns Sudanese Attacksإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
United Nations rights chief Navi Pillay on Tuesday called for a halt to "deplorable attacks" by Sudanese forces on civilian areas in South Sudan.
Pillay condemned what she described as indiscriminate aerial bombing of some parts, including Mayom and Bentiu in Unity State, leaving eight dead and many injured since Saturday.
"In the past week we have seen an intensification of the use of Antonovs as well as jetfighters dropping bombs and launching rocket attacks, including in areas dangerously close to the offices of international organizations," said Pillay.
"Such deplorable attacks must stop immediately."
Fighting broke out last month between Khartoum and Juba in the contested Heglig oil field -- the worst hostilities since South Sudan's independence from Sudan in July.
The High Commissioner for Human Rights said she was also alarmed by South Sudan's "unwarranted occupation" of the oil-rich Heglig region in South Kordofan, as well as reports of a build-up in the number of northern militia in the nearby Abyei over the past few days.
"These are very worrying reports and I call on all parties to work to avoid an escalation of armed confrontation, bearing in mind the dire human rights and humanitarian consequences for civilians," Pillay said.
"There is still time to pull back from the brink and bring all parties to the table to negotiate diplomatic solutions to disagreements over borders, oil, citizenship and other crucial issues," she said.