Bulgaria Tight-Lipped after Report that Hizbullah is Linked to Anti-Israeli Bombing
The Bulgarian foreign ministry has declined to comment on a report that an investigation will link Hizbullah to the July 2012 tourist bombing that killed five Israelis.
On Thursday, Israel's Channel 2 reported that the Bulgarian investigation, which will be released soon, found Hizbullah was behind the bombing in Burgas that killed the five tourists and their Bulgarian driver.
Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, declined to comment on the report in Israeli media.
But Yigal Palmor, spokesman for the ministry of foreign affairs, told The Jerusalem Post on Friday: "We will not make any comments before the Bulgarian government divulges its conclusions and states its position."
The head of the regional investigation unit in Burgas told the 24 Hours daily newspaper in a January 3 interview that Sofia had identified and issued an arrest warrant for one of the accomplices of the man who blew up the Israeli-packed bus.
But Stanelia Karadzhova was taken off the case for releasing details of the investigation without clearing it with the supervising prosecutor
Six months after the July 18 attack, Sofia is struggling to identify the actual bomber, despite having his DNA, fingerprints and a computer-generated portrait.
This has prevented Bulgaria from pointing the finger at anyone so far.
Immediately after the attack, Israel blamed Iran and Hizbullah for the bombing.