Report: U.S. to Dedicate 500 Million Dollars to Lebanon at Kuwait Conference

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية W460

The United States is expected to grant Lebanon USD 500 million to Lebanon through its United States Agency for International Development (USAID), reported the daily An Nahar on Sunday.

It is supposed to make the announcement at the Kuwait donors conference scheduled for Monday.

Social Affairs Minister Rashid Derbas had stated earlier in March that Lebanon will ask the international community for 2.1 billion dollars in assistance at the conference.

Lebanon aims to urge the assistance to help it resolve problems linked to the displaced Syrians on the course of two years, he added.

Media reports said that 37 percent of the assistance that Lebanon will ask for will be allocated for government spending and the remaining 63 percent will cover humanitarian cases such as aid to Lebanon's most vulnerable communities and the refugees.

Prime Minister Tammam Salam will head the Lebanese delegation to the conference.

The Gulf state has hosted previous such conferences in the past two years which saw pledges of around $4 billion in aid, including $800 million from Kuwait.

But U.N. humanitarian agencies have complained that many donors have not followed through on pledges, forcing them to cut assistance to millions of Syrians.

There are more than 1.5 million Syrian refugees in Lebanon. Well over half of them are living in insecure dwellings – up from a third last year. The country has struggled to cope with their burden since the eruption of the Syrian conflict in March 2011.

M.T.

Comments 9
Thumb lebanon_first 29 March 2015, 10:32

The US gives us 500 million USD in aid.

The islamic republic of iran gives us 1 Billion to arm one part of the population against the other.

Thumb Mystic 29 March 2015, 12:29

Yet you fail to understand, that this collected sum is for the displaced Syrians within Lebanon. You guys live too far to understand, that we actually have the biggest number of refugees inside Lebanon, they are in dire need of resources.

It is actually a pity the U.S along with the world didn't send more.
Lebanon houses around 1.5 million Syrians today if not more.

Default-user-icon Vahe (Guest) 29 March 2015, 13:34

Why doesn't the Islamic Republic of Iran send the money to help the refugees instead of supporting Assad and Hizbullah? I forgot they don't give a shit about anybody else except their cronies.

Thumb Mystic 29 March 2015, 12:29

The U.S is supposed to be the "friend" of Lebanon, yet all they can give is a few bucks, and rusty old weaponry for the armed forces.

Thumb lebanon_first 29 March 2015, 19:57

despicable entitlement mentality. Typical of people of your ilk.

Missing Je_suis@libonase 29 March 2015, 13:25

The refugees will not see one dollar where is all this money going.

Thumb tric.portugal 29 March 2015, 15:16

Al-nusra

Thumb eli-g 29 March 2015, 16:40

thank you USA

Thumb geha 29 March 2015, 17:00

thank you USA. this amount will be spent in Lebanon, thus it will revitalize the lebanese economy while giving some relief to the syrian refugees.