Families of Slain Fighters in Tall Kalakh Give Authorities 48-Hour Ultimatum, Demand Expulsion of Syrian Envoy

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية W460

The families of the Lebanese fighters who were killed in Syria's Tall Kalakh recently warned of staging rallies across Lebanon on Monday if the authorities failed to retrieve the bodies of the men over the weekend, demanding the expulsion of Syrian ambassador to Lebanon Ali Abdul Karim Ali.

“If we don't retrieve the corpses by Sunday we will invade the streets,” head of committee formed to follow up the case of slain Tall Kalakh fighters Sheikh Mohammed Ibrahim told reporters.

He describe the Syrian ambassador as a “criminal,” calling on authorities to expel him until he returns with the corpses.

Ibrahim also demanded the release of the fighters, who were detained by Syrian authorities.

“We want the men who were arrested to return before the corpses of the remaining fighters,” he pointed out.

Earlier, General Security chief Brig. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim briefed Prime Minister Najib Miqati on the ongoing contacts with Syrian authorities to return the bodies.

According to a statement released by Miqati's press office, the general security chief said that the bodies will be retrieved once the identification of the bodies ends.

Al-Joumhouria newspaper said earlier that Lebanese authorities are carrying out intensified negotiations with Syria to recover to the corpses of six fighters, who were identified by their families.

According to the newspaper, the General Security chief held talks with the families on Wednesday, who were able to identify them by distinguishing certain marks on their bodies.

However, the daily reported that the bodies of four remaining men still need to be identified, pointing out that these fighters might not be Lebanese citizens.

On Sunday, Syrian authorities handed over the corpses of three fighters through the Arida border-crossing in the North.

The corpses had been identified as those of Mohammed al-Mir, Khodr Mustafa Alameddine, and Abdul Hamid Ali Agha.

Conflicting reports had emerged over the total number of Lebanese fighters killed in the town of Tall Kalakh.

Media reports had said that 14 Salafists, who mostly hail from northern Lebanon, were killed on November 30 in an ambush carried out by Syrian regime forces as they infiltrated Tall Kalakh to fight alongside the Free Syrian Army.

One report said that around three men arrested in the deadly ambush will not be handed over to Lebanese authorities and will be tried in Damascus instead.

Several others have reportedly escaped and sought refuge with the rebel FSA.

Comments 12
Thumb benzona 14 December 2012, 10:55

Useless move. Your "martyrs" are in heaven... (supposedly) you should be happy for them. So what are you blabbing about?

Thumb mckinl 14 December 2012, 16:55

It is clear that March 14 is using this tragedy to further destabilize Lebanon.

These recruits were part of the Hariri- Saqr meddling in the civil war in Syria.

Having been thoroughly discredited Hariri and Saqr must further stir the pot to bury their debacle.

Why aren't these families demanding to know who recruited their sons for this mission of death in another country without their knowledge ???

Missing abraham 14 December 2012, 19:59

did these people ask the petrmission of the govermant to go to Syria
I don't think so
then go to hell

Missing lappeaudecouille 14 December 2012, 11:18

I do understand what these families must been going through however, what do they expect when their sons leave the country to go fight someone else´s war. It won't be easy to retrieve these bodies. Better forget and move on.

Default-user-icon Greenie (Guest) 14 December 2012, 11:40

Karim Did you manage to locate Mighliye s Head?

Default-user-icon Ben Dou (Guest) 14 December 2012, 13:19

omg what those terrorists captured must be going through in the hands of the Syrian intelligence:) Tripoli salafists are panicking due to they know that their names will be reveled by their terrorists they send to Syria. They will not be sent back alive, that is for sure even if they were alive when captured. Another ones bites the dust:)

Default-user-icon MUSTAPHA O. GHALAYINI (Guest) 14 December 2012, 14:00

till now i dont understand why they are making a sit in?????in the business of arms and fighting ,u win or lose and that's it....unless u have more info to give us..just shut it up.

Missing beirutbastard00 14 December 2012, 14:26

Nah there's something weird bout this. I think maybe the ones who sent these guys to fight in Syria promised them it was a safe route, n now they're trying to save face n avoid a backlash for sending them into an ambush. These ppl r incompetent, uneducated, "religious" leaders... The families should b outraged at the sheikh that convinced their sons to commit suicide for virgins on a cloud!

Thumb jabalamel 14 December 2012, 16:31

thr filthy islamist/zionist halucinates something

Default-user-icon Lebanese (Guest) 14 December 2012, 16:56

This "filthy islamist/zionist" rhetoric gets old. I am not a supporter of M14, but by your name I presume you're a Shiite. So as your fellow Shiite, Hezballah is no better and no different. They blinded you with the religion, they are nothing but an Iranian project, equally bad as anyone else in this country. Wake up and spare us the bs once and for all. Hassan Nasrallah is probably more filthy than the others given he thinks he's on a divine mandate from God himself, he's a hypocrite, and his days are coming to an end anyway... once Bashar falls and his dogs in Tehran collapse.

Thumb Bandoul 14 December 2012, 20:06

Oh look, the filthy Iranian revolutionary guard wannabe terrorist just got out of prison after a long absence due to incarceration and is gracing us with his steaming pile of buffalo chips.

Missing bigjohn 14 December 2012, 21:51

I think it is more important to bring back the unarmed kidnapped civilian pilgrims from Syria than the bodies of those young soldiers going to Syria to kill.