Moussawi Slams 'Baseless' Syrian Claims that Assassinations against Mufti Shaar Being Preparedإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Loyalty to the Resistance bloc MP Nawwaf al-Moussawi slammed on Thursday claims by defected Syrian cleric Abdul Jalil Saeed that Syria was planning on assassinating Mufti of Tripoli and the North Sheikh Malek al-Shaar.
He said: “The claims are lies and baseless.”
“The accusations are a reflection of the insanity plaguing those people,” he added.
Shaar had revealed on Wednesday details surrounding the alleged death threats he had received and which made him decide to prolong his stay in Europe.
In an interview on Future TV, al-Shaar said: “I have received several phone calls and I even met with army officers who advised me to be cautious as my movements are being watched”.
Saeed had revealed in a taped interview that Ibrahim Hamad, a captain in the Syrian intelligence, had been collecting information about the northern Mufti.
"Hamad came to Beirut many times and met with several figures at the office of MP Nawwaf Moussawi,” he said.
"I have been informed by people in the Syrian Dar al-Fatwa that he (Hamad) was going to personally supervise the assassination operation from the Bekaa region,” he added, explaining that al-Shaar was supposed to be targeted near the residence of the Bekaa Mufti Mohammed Khalil al-Mayss.
Saeed also said that two members of the Lebanese Dar al-Fatwa are involved in this assassination attempt.
He revealed that the assassination plot against al-Shaar is linked to the case of former Minister Michel Samaha.
Samaha was arrested in August on charges of forming a criminal gang aimed at carrying out attacks in Lebanon at Syria's behest.
Syrian security chief Ali Mamlouk and another Syrian official identified as Colonel Adnan were also charged in the case.
Al-Shaar announced in early December that he will not be returning to Lebanon from a trip to Europe after he has allegedly received death threats.