Mansour Calls Muallem, Says Lebanon Won't Remain Silent over Israeli Attack on Hizbullahإقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
Caretaker Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour on Tuesday telephoned Syrian FM Walid Muallem and discussed with him “the latest developments and threats against Syria,” amid reports of an imminent military strike against the Syrian regime, Lebanon's National News Agency reported.
“This dangerous situation requires an emergency meeting of the (Lebanese) cabinet, or at least a ministerial meeting, to discuss the threats that are being launched against Syria and the possibility of a military strike against it and the direct repercussions on Lebanon,” Mansour told NNA.
“Such an emergency meeting would enable Lebanon to confront these challenges or limit their consequences,” he said.
Mansour added that the cabinet must convene to address “the dangerous situations although it is acting in caretaker capacity.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Mansour warned that a war against Syria will have negative repercussions on the entire region.
“Lebanon will not remain silent if Israel exploited a strike against Syria to attack Hizbullah in the South,” he noted.
“The resistance and army protect Lebanon and the country has a natural right to defend its land,” Mansour stressed.
“Despite its fighting in Syria, the resistance is ready at any time to face any assault,” he explained.
“The resistance was formed to defend Lebanon and its land alongside the army,” he remarked.
Western countries including the United States are considering their response to an alleged chemical weapons attack by the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad on August 21.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague said the West could act on Syria even without the full backing of the United Nations Security Council.